Preston and Claire said they wanted to be in the same class this year. Their last school advised against it, so I didn't think it would happen. On meet the teacher night I anxiously looked at the list and to our surprise the kids were put in the same class. We met their teacher, she seemed uncomfortable when she found out they were twins. I asked her how she felt about it and she replied, "We'll see how it goes." Wow that was reassuring! I left feeling very emotional and confused. I wanted to go straight into the office and switch them to a different teacher. One that seemed more experienced and happy about having twins. David thought I should wait and see how it goes, but all of my mommy sensors went off. What if they didn't do well in class together. What if they fell behind academically? When we got home David and I discussed some positive things about them being in the same class and he convinced me the teacher would be good. It would be nice to have the same homework schedule. I was on board.
We had fun getting ready for school. I laid out their outfits and got all of their stuff together. David gave them a special blessing. In the morning we took pictures and fussed all over our big kids. David left for work and I drove them to school. I cried on the way there. I thought it would be easier this time around, nope! It is a huge chunk of the day that we're apart and I have no idea what they are doing. When we walked into their classroom their teacher told me one of them was being moved to a new class. My heart stopped. Which one, why, I couldn't even ask anything I was so shocked. Why would they do this to six year old twins on the first day? It turns out Claire was getting moved to a teacher my neighbor had a bad experience with. She asked me if she could walk me into that class and I said "No, I am going to the office." My protective mode set off and I walked into the office telling them what happened and that I wanted another teacher. I got denied and was told the other classes were full and that she was a great teacher( I wasn't convinced). Meanwhile Claire was crying, Rhett was crying. The assistant principle ended up pushing Rhett's stroller while I dragged Claire along. She would not even walk into her classroom on her own. I felt like we were pretty dramatic and I was embarrassed. I hugged her goodbye and had to leave her crying. It broke my heart.
On my tearful drive home I saw a little boy alone in his diaper on the side of the street. I pulled over and knocked on doors till I found his parents. His Dad was in the shower and didn't know he was out. It was a crazy morning to say the least. I met David for lunch at firehouse subs(we did that last year too).
When the kids got home they were happy and excited. It wasn't until I put Preston to bed that he started crying, telling me he missed Claire so much. That he didn't see her all day and he didn't understand why they couldn't be in the same class. I knew it would all work out, but I was temporarily devastated. it was time to go to bed and start fresh.
I am happy to say that they are doing good now. They love their school and teachers, so that is enough for me. On friday I was relieved it was the weekend and happy to have them home with us. The End.
 |
| Our house, still working on the interior. I still can't believe we are in a house, we love it. More pictures to come. |
 |
| Claire is quite the helper at home. She has been getting Rhett out of his crib, she helps dress him, and even puts his diaper on him occasionally. I am going to miss my sweet lil' girlfriend. |
 |
| Preston was very eager to get back to school. He loves to read and be with his friends. He is a loyal friend and he tries to make others happy. I am going to miss his laugh. |
 |
| Neighbors Lily and Gunnar |
 |
| Rhett's new friend Alex brought over cupcakes to share. He lives right next door. They look and act alike. I am glad I still have my little buddy around. |
Wow. That is an intense first day! I can't believe the school would just pull a switch like that without any advanced notice to prepare you and them. That's just mean! Glad your kids (and you) made it through it. And glad you found that little man's dad!! Your kids look adorable. And we definitely want to get together with you guys sometime. We should look at our break schedules!
ReplyDeleteWhat an traumatic first day- glad you guys survived! And... your house looks like it is amazing! Can't wait to see pics of the inside. Minus the negligent parents, it seems like you've found some good friends. But, please don't make too many friends so that you'll want to come back to Arizona soon :)
ReplyDeleteOh man..I am so sorry! I would have been an emotional wreck. Hopefully it just gets better and better. Your kids look so big! Claire's hair is long now. Your home looks awesome. I showed Teeg and his eyes went huge. He said he wants to come play in Texas. :)
ReplyDeleteawww! Your kids are soo cute! Claire is beautiful! And wow I want your house!
ReplyDeleteMy goodness what a traumatic day! I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteBut it looks like you have some fun neighbors and a gorgeous home. And at least there's always Firehouse Subs.
We miss you guys!
Oh I'm so sorry you had such a hard first day. I can't believe they switched on you so last minute. I hope the year goes well for them. I love your house, it is beautiful! You all look so cute! We miss you!!
ReplyDeletethat story made me so frustrated! I would have done the same thing...you handled it well. I'm so glad things have turned out for those cuties!
ReplyDeleteOh Emily I about cried just reading this! I don't know how I will deal next year. You're a great mom I would have went crazy! Beautiful home!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a mean thing to do to 1st graders. Chill teachers! It's just 1st grade. It would have been fine. I think the school over-reacted to not put them together. You handled it well. Go Claire and Preston! It seems like last year we were teaching them in our little home preschool. Time flies!
ReplyDeleteThat is a ridiculous first day. I could just see you saying that you were going to the office and I was cheering you along every step of the way...how rude to just switch them without notice. I'm glad you feel settled about it now, but so sorry that it was drama on the first day. I LOVE your house! It's so pretty and I can't wait to see the inside since I know it will be darling!
ReplyDeleteWhat a traumatic first day. I'm glad they seem to be ok. I can't believe how old they look, even thought it's just been a few months since I've seen them. Maybe it's Clair's long hair. And your house is gorgeous! I can't believe you live in that. You're all grown up now.
ReplyDeleteYour house looks awesome! I want to see pics of the inside. :) I'm glad you guys are settling into your new town...miss you, girl!
ReplyDeleteOh Goodness! Miss miss miss you! And I can relate to the teacher thing 100%. It is sooo hard. I bet they are doing great! They are both adorable children. Miss you guys so much. Fun to see pics of your house. I hope you are feeling settled and well. And little Rhett is getting so big too! Love you Em =)
ReplyDeleteThat's so sad! I would have been a complete wreck! I'm glad you found that little kid! Holy cow! My worst nightmare. Your house looks so nice! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry Emily, that is rough! Glad to see you guys got a home, that is so awesome! It's darling and I bet you are so excited! Your kids keep growing and looking older, they are just darling :) Miss you guys here, but looks like you guys are doing well. Take care!
ReplyDeleteCute pics. I can't believe that our kiddos are so grown up!
ReplyDelete